Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antirheumatic, antispasmodic, antiseptic, antibacterial, immunomodulating, antacid, uricosuric diuretic, febrifuge / diaphoretic, astringent, anticoagulant, antiulcer and antioxidant activity.
Actions: Meadowsweet is traditionally used as an analgesic for headaches and migraine. Helps relieve headaches, aching pain and inflammation of the respiratory tract that can accompany the flu.
- Rheumatism, gout (excess uric acid) or arthritis (aggravated by humidity).
- Chronic joint, muscle or tendon pain.
- Fevers (diaphoretic), makes sweat to evacuate the excess of heat.
- Colds and flu.
- Headaches, migraine, dental pain.
- Diuretic uricosuric / Increases urinary volume, evacuates excess uric acid deposited in the joints (gout).
- Rich in flavonoids (antioxidant).
- Facilitates elimination functions.
- Helps against overweight, cellulite (detoxifying effect).
- Antispasmodic (aches and cramps).
- Inflammations of the digestive mucous membranes:
- Intestinal inflammation (colitis)
- Gastric or duodenal ulcer
- Oral ulcer or gingivitis.
- Gastric reflux (esophagitis).
- Transient or chronic diarrhea (astringent)
"The meadowsweet (also called ultimatum spirea or filipendula), is native to Europe, it was already used in the Middle Ages for its medicinal virtues. It contains a well-known molecule, salicylic acid. In 1890, Bayer created a very popular drug "aspirin" from the salicylic acid molecule that was isolated from meadowsweet, hence its name (Aspirin /Spirae, the old name for meadowsweet). Ironically, not only does meadowsweet not create stomach acid, like aspirin, (because it contains all of its molecules), but it is also an antacid plant, helping to relieve the symptoms of hyperacidity during gastritis or stomach ulcers."
Ingredient: Dried organic leaves and flowers of Meadowsweet / Queen of the meadow, (Filipendula ulmaria).
Dosage (Adults only): Infuse a tablespoon in a cup of hot water; the infusion is done at 85°C to preserve its constituents. Boil the water in a kettle and wait 8 to 10 minutes after the "click" before pouring, cover, infuse 5 to 10 minutes and filter. Drink 1 to 3 cups per day. Optional: add a little honey or maple syrup (to taste).
Take away from meals and away from any medication (its tannins can interfere with the absorption of these).
Contra-indications: Do not use this product if you are pregnant, if you are breast-feeding, if you are taking certain medications (and particularly antiaggregants and anticoagulants, heparin and its derivatives). Potential interactions with warfarin. Avoid in case of allergy to aspirin. Do not use in children (as with aspirin, there is a risk of Reye's syndrome, rare but potentially fatal).
Cautions: Consult a health care practitioner (herbalist, naturopath, pharmacist, nurse or physician) before using this herb or if your symptoms persist or worsen.
ORGANIC HERBAL TEA MEADOWSWEET (Filipendula ulmaria)
- Product Code: 60 g VRAC SAC ZIP
- Availability: In Stock